Interlibrary Loan (ILL) Services
Books not available through the Library Catalog can often be borrowed from another library. Requests can be placed in the following ways:
- Search for and then request the item from WorldCat (3-7 day delivery time; 4-week loan period); look for the “Request via ILL” link on the item record to submit
- Book requests can also be submitted directly to Interlibrary Loan (3-7 day delivery time; 4-week loan period); log in and choose the “Book” option under the “New Request” menu
Journal Articles and Book Chapters
Requests for articles published in journals not currently owned by Skidmore, or from a particular issue not currently available, can be placed in two ways:
- Fill out an article request directly in Interlibrary Loan with the full citation information (1-3 day delivery time in PDF format); log in and choose the “Article” option under the “New Request” menu
- Submit a request from within many of the Library’s research databases via the linkfinder link found in the article record (1-3 day delivery time in PDF format)
- If a book chapter is needed, submit the request as you would an article request (1-3 day delivery time, usually in PDF format)
Document Delivery – Hoge Building
To access microfilm, microfiche, or journals marked with location “Hoge,” the Library’s on-campus storage facility, submit an Interlibrary Loan request (24 hour delivery time on weekdays). Book requests can be submitted directly through the Library Catalog by clicking on the “Hoge Building Requests” link located to the right in an item record.
Please visit our Hoge Building page for more information on off-site document storage.
Policies and Procedures
The Following Materials are Generally Unavailable
Planning ahead is necessary when using interlibrary loan. Article requests usually arrive in 1 to 2 days. Returnable material requests, including books and DVDs, can take 4 to 8 days.
In an emergency, please call the Interlibrary Loan Office at (518) 580-5520 or come to see us in Room 211, and we will do our best to help you.